Starbucks has become a global phenomenon, with more than 25,000 retail stores in 70 countries. Besides its unique sizing system (Tall! Grande! Venti!), there are plenty of other interesting things to learn about this premium coffeehouse chain. We compiled some facts about Starbucks that will blow your mind.
1. Starbucks was almost named Pequod after an ill-fated ship from Herman Melville’s novel, Moby-Dick. Luckily, one genius co-founder said, “No one’s going to drink a cup of Pee-quod!” The name was later changed to Starbucks, the chief mate on the Pequod. We have to say it was definitely the right choice.
2. Starbucks gives you $0.50 discount on the price of your drink when you bring in your own reusable mug, tumbler, or thermos. This not only adds up to more savings over time, but also helps the environment by conserving resources!
3. Starbucks has a smaller size than “Tall” (called “Short”), but they don’t show it on their menus. You can order a “Short” (240ml) in Singapore Starbucks for any hot drinks for $0.50 cheaper than a Tall. Not only it is cheaper, the Short coffees contain the same amount of espresso as the Tall version.
4. There are currently more than 25,085 Starbucks stores around the world. That means Starbucks has grown by an average of at least two stores every day since 1987. This number is likely to slow down since every neighbourhood will soon be having a Starbucks store in it.
5. Starbucks opened its first store in Beijing in 1999 and there are now 2,300 stores in China. The company announced that it plans to more than double its number of China locations to 5,000 by 2021. That is more than one new store a day for the next five years.
6. Starbucks serves more than 87,000 different combinations of drinks worldwide. Which pretty much means you’ll never, ever get to experience every glorious one, because even if you got two drinks every day, it would take you more than 119 years to try them all.
8. In late 2013, Starbucks sold limited-edition gold cards with actual gold in them. They cost $450, and as astonishing as that price tag sounds, the cards actually sold out in seconds, because Starbucks!
9. Starbucks uses around 4 billion disposable paper cups around the world each year.
10. The average Starbucks customer visits the store about six times a month. But a loyal 20% of Starbucks customers visit the store at least 16 times every month.
Don't Miss These:
- List of 30 hot buffet promotions at various restaurants, including Marriott Cafe, Triple Three, Seasonal Tastes and more. Updated March 2019.
- Enjoy 1-for-1s and up to 55% off at more than 60 amazing buffet spots in Singapore, including Marriott Cafe, Café 2000, The Carvery, Triple Three, Seasonal Tastes & more, by purchasing vouchers on ChopeDeals. What's even better? You can now get an extra $8 off all buffet deals for a limited time only!
- Circles.life is offering UNLIMITED data for additional $20 /mo on the base plan. What's more, you can get $34 OFF on registration fee, for a limited time only!
- Get 25% OFF sitewide at lookfantastic, the original online British beauty boutique founded in 1996, carrying over 12,000 products with complimentary worldwide shipping to over 200 countries. Brands include Caudalie, Chantecaille, Elizabeth Arden, The Ordinary and many more.
- Till 31 Mar 2019, enjoy 50% off dinner buffet at Marriott Cafe with Standard Chartered cards. Reserve Online Now – Marriott Cafe
- Enjoy 1-for-1 lunch and dinner buffet at Atrium Restaurant with Maybank cards. Valid till 31 Dec 2019. Reserve Online Now – Atrium Restaurant
- Till 31 Dec 2019, enjoy 1-for-1 weekday lunch buffet at Element – Amara Hotel Singapore with DBS/POSB & OCBC cards, respectively. Reserve Online Now – Element
- Till 31 Mar 2019, enjoy 1-for-1 Saturday High Tea Buffet at J65 @ Hotel Jen Tanglin. All cards accepted. Reserve Online Now – J65
- Enjoy 1-for-1 Buffet Lunch & Dinner on weekdays at Sun's Café @ Hotel Grand Pacific with any credit/debit card. Valid till 10 Apr 2019. Reserve Online Now – Sun's Café
- Enjoy 1-for-1 buffet dinner at Seasonal Tastes with DBS/POSB cards (till 31 Mar 2019) or via Chope Deals. Reserve Online Now – Seasonal Tastes
- Enjoy 1-for-1 buffet at Triple Three - Mandarin Orchard Singapore Hotel, with UOB or DBS/POSB cards. Valid till 9 Apr and 30 Dec 2019, respectively. Reserve Online Now – Triple Three
- Enjoy 1-for-1 buffet dinner at Cafe Mosaic - Carlton Hotel via Chope Deals. Reserve Online Now - Cafe Mosaic
- From 20 Feb to 31 Mar 2019, Maybank cardmembers enjoy $50Nett Adult Weekday Lunch Buffet at AquaMarine. Reserve Online Now – AquaMarine
- From now to 31 Mar 2019, enjoy 50% off every diner for dinner buffet with DBS/POSB cards. Reserve Online Now – Lobby Lounge @ Marriott