Starbucks has become a global phenomenon, with more than 25,000 retail stores in 70 countries. Besides its unique sizing system (Tall! Grande! Venti!), there are plenty of other interesting things to learn about this premium coffeehouse chain. We compiled some facts about Starbucks that will blow your mind.
1. Starbucks was almost named Pequod after an ill-fated ship from Herman Melville’s novel, Moby-Dick. Luckily, one genius co-founder said, “No one’s going to drink a cup of Pee-quod!” The name was later changed to Starbucks, the chief mate on the Pequod. We have to say it was definitely the right choice.
2. Starbucks gives you $0.50 discount on the price of your drink when you bring in your own reusable mug, tumbler, or thermos. This not only adds up to more savings over time, but also helps the environment by conserving resources!
3. Starbucks has a smaller size than “Tall” (called “Short”), but they don’t show it on their menus. You can order a “Short” (240ml) in Singapore Starbucks for any hot drinks for $0.50 cheaper than a Tall. Not only it is cheaper, the Short coffees contain the same amount of espresso as the Tall version.
4. There are currently more than 25,085 Starbucks stores around the world. That means Starbucks has grown by an average of at least two stores every day since 1987. This number is likely to slow down since every neighbourhood will soon be having a Starbucks store in it.
5. Starbucks opened its first store in Beijing in 1999 and there are now 2,300 stores in China. The company announced that it plans to more than double its number of China locations to 5,000 by 2021. That is more than one new store a day for the next five years.
7. The original Starbucks logo showed a suggestively posed mermaid with exposed breasts. The siren of the famous Starbucks logo is intended to represent the seductive power of coffee, with her hair tastefully covering any hint of immodesty. But when Starbucks was still a regional chain in 1970s Seattle, their logo was far more candid: The mermaid had fully-exposed breasts. Some customers commented on it, but it didn’t become scandalous until the company began making deliveries and had to put their signage on trucks. Reluctant to traffic in portable nudity, the logo was revised.
8. In late 2013, Starbucks sold limited-edition gold cards with actual gold in them. They cost $450, and as astonishing as that price tag sounds, the cards actually sold out in seconds, because Starbucks!
9. Starbucks uses around 4 billion disposable paper cups around the world each year.
10. The average Starbucks customer visits the store about six times a month. But a loyal 20% of Starbucks customers visit the store at least 16 times every month.
Don't Miss These:
- From now to 30 Apr 2018, enjoy 50% off dinner buffet at Lobby Lounge (Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel) with DBS/POSB cards. Reserve Online Now – Lobby Lounge @Marriott
- Till 31 Dec 2018, enjoy 1-for-1 Lunch Buffet at Triple Three, with DBS/POSB cards. Reserve Online Now – Triple Three
- Enjoy 1-for-1 dinner buffet at Seasonal Tastes with DBS/POSB cards, till 31 May 2018. Advanced order of 3 working days is required. Reserve Online Now – Seasonal Tastes
- Till 31 May 2018, enjoy 1-for-1 dinner buffet at Marriott Cafe, with Maybank cards. Reserve Online Now – Marriott Cafe
- Enjoy 1-for-1 daily lunch and dinner buffet promotions at Escape Restaurant and Lounge (One Farrer Hotel), with HSBC cards! Valid till 30 Apr 2018. Reserve Online Now - Escape Restaurant & Lounge
- From 1 Mar 2018, enjoy 1-for-1 buffet promotions at Atrium Restaurant. One-day advance reservation required. Reserve Online Now - Atrium Restaurant
- Enjoy 50% off every 2nd diner for lunch/dinner buffet at Orchard Café (Orchard Hotel), with UOB cards. Valid till 30 Apr 2018. Reserve Online Now – Orchard Café
- This 2018, enjoy 1-for-1 buffet dinner & 4-for-3 buffet lunch promotions at Cafe Mosaic - Carlton Hotel, when you pay with DBS/POSB, Citibank, OCBC or UOB cards. Reserve Online Now - Cafe Mosaic