Starbucks has become a global phenomenon, with more than 25,000 retail stores in 70 countries. Besides its unique sizing system (Tall! Grande! Venti!), there are plenty of other interesting things to learn about this premium coffeehouse chain. We compiled some facts about Starbucks that will blow your mind.
1. Starbucks was almost named Pequod after an ill-fated ship from Herman Melville’s novel, Moby-Dick. Luckily, one genius co-founder said, “No one’s going to drink a cup of Pee-quod!” The name was later changed to Starbucks, the chief mate on the Pequod. We have to say it was definitely the right choice.
2. Starbucks gives you $0.50 discount on the price of your drink when you bring in your own reusable mug, tumbler, or thermos. This not only adds up to more savings over time, but also helps the environment by conserving resources!
3. Starbucks has a smaller size than “Tall” (called “Short”), but they don’t show it on their menus. You can order a “Short” (240ml) in Singapore Starbucks for any hot drinks for $0.50 cheaper than a Tall. Not only it is cheaper, the Short coffees contain the same amount of espresso as the Tall version.
4. There are currently more than 25,085 Starbucks stores around the world. That means Starbucks has grown by an average of at least two stores every day since 1987. This number is likely to slow down since every neighbourhood will soon be having a Starbucks store in it.
5. Starbucks opened its first store in Beijing in 1999 and there are now 2,300 stores in China. The company announced that it plans to more than double its number of China locations to 5,000 by 2021. That is more than one new store a day for the next five years.
6. Starbucks serves more than 87,000 different combinations of drinks worldwide. Which pretty much means you’ll never, ever get to experience every glorious one, because even if you got two drinks every day, it would take you more than 119 years to try them all.
7. The original Starbucks logo showed a suggestively posed mermaid with exposed breasts. The siren of the famous Starbucks logo is intended to represent the seductive power of coffee, with her hair tastefully covering any hint of immodesty. But when Starbucks was still a regional chain in 1970s Seattle, their logo was far more candid: The mermaid had fully-exposed breasts. Some customers commented on it, but it didn’t become scandalous until the company began making deliveries and had to put their signage on trucks. Reluctant to traffic in portable nudity, the logo was revised.
8. In late 2013, Starbucks sold limited-edition gold cards with actual gold in them. They cost $450, and as astonishing as that price tag sounds, the cards actually sold out in seconds, because Starbucks!
9. Starbucks uses around 4 billion disposable paper cups around the world each year.
10. The average Starbucks customer visits the store about six times a month. But a loyal 20% of Starbucks customers visit the store at least 16 times every month.
Don't Miss These:
- From now to 31 Aug 2018, enjoy 50% off every diner Dinner Buffet & diner High Tea Buffet at Marriott Cafe with DBS/POSB cards. Reserve Online Now – Marriott Cafe
- Enjoy 1-for-1 lunch/dinner buffet at The Carvery with SAFRA cards (from 1 Jul - 30 Sep 2018). Reserve Online Now – The Cavery
- From 1 Jul - 30 Sep 2018, SAFRA members and Maybank cardholders get to enjoy 50% off buffet and 1-for-1 Lunch & Dinner Buffet at Atrium Restaurant, respectively. Reserve Online Now – Atrium Restaurant
- From now to 30 Sep 2018, enjoy 1-for-1 weekday lunch buffet at AquaMarine with Maybank cards. Reserve Online Now – AquaMarine
- Enjoy 1-for-1 buffet at Triple Three - Mandarin Orchard Singapore Hotel, with Maybank, DBS/POSB and UOB cards. Valid till 30 Sep, 31 Dec 2018 and 9 April 2019, respectively. Reserve Online Now – Triple Three
- Enjoy 1 dines free with every 2 paying adults for Buffet Lunch, Hi-Tea and Dinner at Orchard Café, with Maybank cards. Valid till 30 Sep 2018. Reserve Online Now – Orchard Café
- Enjoy 1-for-1 buffet dinner at Seasonal Tastes with UOB cards, till 31 Oct 2018. Reserve Online Now – Seasonal Tastes
- This 2018, enjoy 1-for-1 buffet dinner & 4-for-3 buffet lunch promotions at Cafe Mosaic - Carlton Hotel, when you pay with DBS/POSB, Citibank, OCBC or UOB cards. Reserve Online Now - Cafe Mosaic